Tip this TransAdvocate
Our writers work hard to bring you facts that affect your community. Let them know that you appreciate the work they do!
- Williams, C., & Rawson, K. J. (2014). Transgender*: The Rhetorical Landscape of a Term. Present Tense, 3(2), 1–9.
- Williams, C. (2014). Transgender. TSQ: Transgender Studies Quarterly, 1(1-2), 232–234. doi: 10.1215/23289252-2400136
- Williams, C. (2016). Radical Inclusion. TSQ: Transgender Studies Quarterly, 3(1-2), 254–258. doi: 10.1215/23289252-3334463
- Williams, C. (2020). The Ontological Woman: A History of Deauthentication, Dehumanization, and Violence. The Sociological Review, 68(4), 44-60. doi: 10.1177/0038026120938292
- Williams, C. (2014). Alpha Male. In The Queer South: LGBTQ Writers on the American South (pp. 276-278). Little Rock: Sibling Rivalry Press.
- Adviser: Trans Bodies, Trans Selves, The Gender Book
Awards and Citations
- OutSmart Magazine’s Favorite Blogger 2011, 2012, 2013
- Dee McKellar Merit Award, 2011
- Lifetime Achievement Award, 2009
- Jenny Jones Hero, 2009
- Diversity Award, 2008
- Apogee Award, 2002
- People’s Choice Award, 2001
Cristan Williams is a trans historian and pioneer in addressing the practical needs of the transgender community. She started the first trans homeless shelter and co-founded the first federally funded trans-only homeless program, pioneered affordable health care for trans people in the Houston area, won the right for trans people to change their gender on Texas ID prior to surgery, started numerous trans social service programs and founded the Transgender Center as well as the Transgender Archives. Cristan is the editor at the social justice sites TransAdvocate.com and TheTERFs.com, is a member of the City of Houston HIV Prevention Planning Group, is the jurisdictional representative to the Urban Coalition for HIV/AIDS Prevention Services (UCHAPS), serves on the national steering body for UCHAPS and is the Executive Director of the Transgender Foundation of America.