We’ve seen out trans people running and winning elections throughout the nation recently and today the TransAdvocate welcomes our guest host Dylan Forbis, an out trans man running for a seat in the Texas House!
Narration by: Tianna Hanson (Gender Nation)
Production and Sound Design: Cristan Williams
- Texas Primaries: held on 3/6/18; run-offs are on 5/22/18 with a registration deadline of 4/23/18.
- Register to Vote in the US
- Dylan Forbis is running for Texas House Representative District 29 (Brazoria County). After being inspired by a speech from America’s first out trans judge, Phyllis Frye given at the Houston Transgender Unity Banquet, Forbis decided to run for office. He’s endorsed by the Houston GLBT Political Caucus and Revolution Texas and came on the show to say:
We must not focus on one person, political party, or idea to fix anything. Nothing will improve if we do not work together and create the change we need in our daily lives. We have to decide we want to repair our State and listen while we bring real healing, power, and freedom to each other. When we make those decisions and put in the work, we will have a Stronger Texas Together.” – Dylan Wilde Forbis
- RNC endorses Trans military ban: The committee, without public debate, approved a resolution backing Trump’s call for the military to consider transgender identity “a disqualifying psychological and physical” condition and praising his “intent and prerogative to strengthen our military with sound personnel policies,” the Associated Press reports. It also encouraged the Department of Justice to take the matter to the U.S. Supreme Court if need be.
- NJ joins multistate group challenging the ban on transgender military service: The lawsuit, filed U.S. District Court’s Western District of Washington in Seattle, will seek to have the ban declared illegal, according to New Jersey Attorney General Gurbir Grewal. Fifteen states and the District of Columbia are involved in the suit. “[President Trump’s] ban doesn’t just demean our armed forces, including the many brave transgender soldiers who have served openly and with great distinction…[it] also violates the Constitution,” Grewal said in a statement.
- ACLU sues Alabama for discrimination against trans people: “Transgender people — like all people — deserve to live their lives without the government compromising their privacy, safety, autonomy, dignity, or equality,” said Gabriel Arkles, senior staff attorney with the ACLU. “All people have a right to make their own healthcare decisions free from government coercion. They have a right to keep their personal information private. They have a right not to endorse a message from the government with which they disagree. They have the right not to be discriminated against by the government for who they are. And in addition to endangering transgender people, Alabama’s policy — and other policies like it — violate the law.” Alabama is one of only nine states that explicitly requires surgery — or a court order that typically requires proof of surgery — before issuing transgender people an accurate driver’s license. That means most transgender Alabamans have no ID they can use safely. As a result, one plaintiff may be forced to leave Alabama and move out of state. The lawsuit, Corbitt v. Taylor, was filed on behalf of three people who experienced this discrimination.
- Fox & Friends guest pushes the myth that 3 and 4-year-old trans kids are making “surgical and biological alterations” to their bodies:
We can help!
- Are you a trans, intersex, or genderqueer victim of a natural disaster? Get direct assistance here: Trans Disaster Relief Fund
- Are you trans, intersex, or genderqueer and are going to college or trade school? Get a scholarship here: Trans Scholarship Fund
- Are you trying to organize a non-profit trans organization, group, or effort and need server space, help to get your 501c3 status or need fiscal sponsorship? Contact us here.
- Do you need help fundraising for your Resistance effort?
- Are you a trans, intersex, genderqueer, or an ally and want to get paid to write your analysis or you need help/journalist credentials for your investigative news piece, contact us or submit your piece here.
You can help!
- Support the TransAdvocate at our Patreon
- Support the Trans Disaster Relief Fund
- Volunteer with the Trans Disaster Relief Fund, Trans Unity Banquet, Trans Archive, or Pride Celebrations
- Submit your article for publication on the TransAdvocate
- Support our Queer Voices Fund
- Support our Trans Archive Acquisition Fund
Submit articles for publication here.