Tip this TransAdvocate
Our writers work hard to bring you facts that affect your community. Let them know that you appreciate the work they do!
- Teeny Weenies and Other Short Subjects, 2012
- Just Add Hormones, 2006
- Focus on the Fabulous, 2007
- Adviser: Trans Bodies, Trans Selves, The Gender Book
- Our Day Will Come, 2004
Awards and Citations
- Part-Time Instructor of the Year, Red Rocks Community College, Lakewood, Colorado, 2012
- Melissa Chapman Award for individual effort effecting social change, Gender Identity Center of Colorado, 2011
- Man of the Year Award, Tiffany Club of New England, 2010
- Best Blog, TransGuys Community Award, 2010
- Friends of the Gender Identity Center of Colorado Award, 2007
- Lambda Literary Award finalist for Just Add Hormones, 2006
- Poets & Writers, Inc., Writers Exchange Award for Fiction for the short story “Cam’s Decision” (judge Anne Tyler), 2003
- Sonja’s Dream Lifetime Achievement Award, Gender Identity Center of Colorado, 2002
Matt Kailey is a transsexual man and an award-winning author, blogger, teacher, and community leader, as well as a nationally recognized speaker and trainer on transgender issues.
He is the author of Just Add Hormones: An Insider’s Guide to the Transsexual Experience (Beacon Press), a Lambda Literary Award finalist andRocky Mountain News local bestseller, and Teeny Weenies and Other Short Subjects, a collection of humorous and heartfelt essays about his life before and after transition. In addition, his work has appeared in numerous publications, from anthologies to professional journals.
He is also a media personality who has appeared on local and national radio and television, in local and national print publications, and in five documentary films.
Matt began his transition from female to male in 1997 after forty-two years of living as a straight female. Since then, he has spoken to and trained thousands of people at venues across the country, including universities, businesses, and organizations, and has consulted with human resources personnel and managers in major corporations, small businesses, and government agencies on transition in the workplace.
His expertise ranges from transgender basics to on-the-job transition strategies to essential information for faculty, civil servants, therapists-in-training, medical personnel, and other professionals who work with diverse populations.